Monday, June 8, 2009

Crafty Diva: Yo Gabba Gabba Birthday Party!

My friend, Thuy recently hosted this fabulous 1st birthday party for her son, Parker! Though I am not big on character parties (or clothing for that matter! ;), she really shows that it can be done in a classy, creative fashion!

Thuy is one of the craftiest girls I know! She is the one who made Kate's fab memo board, along with all sorts of other handmade items whenever anyone has a birthday or baby shower! Thuy also came to the rescue when my Etsy orders went crazy last month and assembled 100+ lollipop invitations for me! She's thinking about launching her own Etsy shop now, and I can wait to see what she offers!
She really did an amazing job with all of the details for Parker's party! Of course, my favorite was the decorated cupcake stand, and I have to claim that I inspired that one! (See HERE) The actual cupcakes were so perfectly decorated as the characters from the show. (Kate really enjoyed them....see above!) Thuy also decorated bags for each party guest, and inside was a custom made t-shirt/tank with a Yo Gabba Gabba character ironed on. (I wish I had a picture to show you!) She knew I wouldn't be too excited for a huge Foofa on Kate, so she put a little one on the ruffled neckline of a tank and it's super cute! On the first collage, I made the gift card with Muno & "Parker" and attached it to his gift bag!
She made a really cute Muno cake for the birthday boy to dive into! Although we left before the "Pin the Eyeball on Muno", what a cute idea! Right? For the invitations, she used 12 photos, one from each month of the birthday boy's first year!
These fabulous photos were taken by her sister, my friend, Tina with Live.Love. Photography. Tina also took pictures at Tommy's beach party this weekend....and I am anxiously waiting to see how they turned out!

14 comments:

Vanessa "Paper Chick" said...

love this...how clever!

Jamie said...

Too creative! I have the cake stand, THANKS TO YOU! So I wonder how she got that big circle topper that says "Happy Birthday Parker" to stay? Was it in a cupcake?
CUTE! Thanks for sharing!
P.S. I LOVE your blog! Fun stuff!

Thuy said...

Thanks, Jamie! I got the circle topper to stay by sandwiching a popsicle stick between two of the "Happy Birthday Parker" signs and then (I know this sounds really weird but it worked well) stuck it in a matching pile of Play dough and let it dry. Viola! Your own little sign holder! And then you can use double sided tape or that sticky dough stuff to hold it in place. Hope that helps! I'm the MacGyver of crafts... I use anything on hand to make stuff!

Jamie said...

Thanks for the info Thuy! I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years! Too clever :) Keep up the great work!

Gabriel Del Real said...

I love the Muno birthday invitations because they are simple, cute, not over the top. How did you go about making them?

Kim - The TomKat Studio said...

Hi Gabriel! The Muno card was actually the birthday card I made for the birthday boy. I just searched google images for "yo gabba gabba" and found an image that would work, put him in a circle design, printed & used a circle punch to cut. I then just printed PARKER on a foldover card, and attached the circle cutout with a pop dot!

Jentry Miller said...

This is so my style! I am trying to pull off the same task...a Yo Gabba Gabba birthday party without the cookie cutter theme look. I love the invitations. How can I get those? Thuy, did you design these? Love them!

Jentry Miller said...

Kim-
I spoke to soon. Looks like my answer was right there! I noticed you sell printable pdfs on your etsy account. Is this something you could set up to sell?

Kim - The TomKat Studio said...

Hi Jentry!

Unfortunately, I cannot use licensed characters in my products! I can create coordinating items using the bright colors/patterns but not the actual characters!

Thank you for asking,
Kim

Kim - The TomKat Studio said...

Hi Jentry!

Unfortunately, I cannot use licensed characters in my products! I can create coordinating items using the bright colors/patterns but not the actual characters!

Thank you for asking,
Kim

Anonymous said...

LOVE your ideas!! so tastefully done...how did you make that ribbon on the cupcake stand??

Monique said...

Absolutely love everything about this party. I'm set to throw a Yo Gabba Gabba party next month for my 3yo. I was wondering how you printed the ribbon on the cake stand? And also how you made/or get the invites that have the 12 pictures. Please advice because I am nowhere close to being as creative as you guys. Thank you

Heather said...

Great job! My 19 month old LOVES YGG! She's obsessed!

This party is wonderful and SO Yo Gabba inspired, pat yourself on the back!

Unknown said...

HI THUY I LOVE ALL YOUR IDEAS I WAS WONDERING WHERE CAN I FIND THE RIBBON THAT IS GOING AROUND EACH TIER ON THE CUPCAKE STAND? AND HOW ON EARTH DID YOU MAKE THE CUTE LITTLE NAPKIN RINGS